Friday, June 14, 2013

The sexualization of children

When I read the expert from Levin and Kilbourne's (cite) So Sexy So Soon I was appalled.  I was truly stunned that there are children as young as four who are exposed to so much sex in the media.  As a parent I immediately tried to think of ways to shield my daughter from such exposure.  Then, after finishing the excerpt, I realized that shielding her is not the answer.  Being honest with her and available to answer her questions is a start.  But more importantly, ensuring that she witness and participates in loving, caring relationships.

Personal Experiences with the effects of a highly sexual environment on young children 
  • When I was a student teacher for my undergraduate degree, one of my fellow classmates was placed in a middle school.  While talking with her students she discovered that to be part of the "in" crowd the children had to go through an initiation process much like joining a collage fraternity.  Part of this process was to have sex with another student on a particular rock in the playground.  Since the students wanted to be popular, many of them did so. 
  • Recently, Disney released a Merida doll to support the movie Brave.  The doll, however looks nothing like the character in the movie, who has frizzy hair, a torn dress, and is attractive but large framed.  The doll is thin, in a low-cut pristine dress, with wavy, kept hair (Drexler, 2013).
  • One of my children (3 yr. old) came to school last week with no pants on.  She picked out her shirt and told her dad that it was a dress.  When questioned on it's length, she stated that it covered her underwear, which to her meant it fit fine.  When she arrived at school, the first thing she did was ask her classmates if they thought her dress made her look pretty. 
  • When I was in college, I attending a dramatic performance titled, The Vagina Monologues, where woman of all ages, races, and sexual preferences talked about their sexuality.  The most memorable among the experiences shared were those of women who were ashamed of sex and their feelings of sexuality.  Some went so far as to try and sew themselves closed to keep away the evil of sex.  Thinking back on this I am reminded of how damaging it can be if we ignore the sexuality present in today's media.  It is best if we are honest and open with children.  
I fear that the sexualization of today's children is going to lead to a generation of adults who believe they are only valued, and therefore only value others, for their outward appearance or what they can do for each other.  In the early childhood field, we can help combat this problem by stressing the value of character traits like empathy, caring, helpfulness, leadership, etc., above what a child looks like.

Levin, D. E., & Kilbourne, J. (2009). [Introduction]. So sexy so soon: The new sexualized childhood and what parents can do to protect their kids (pp. 1-8). New York: Ballantine Books. Retrieved from: http://dianeelevin.com/sosexysosoon/introduction.pdf

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah, Your blog was interesting to read. It really breaks my heart when I read about how sexualization has invaded our society. Growing up we could not openly talk about sex but the generation of today are way into sex before they are even ten. The impact of the media and TV on what is sexy and cool and body images is alarming. I hope we can make a difference by educating and protecting our children in our families then those that are under our care in the schools who are unlucky to have neglectful parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    My husband and I have been discussing this very issue as it relates to our five year old daughter. We are trying to protect her innocence, but at the same time we want her to be knowledgeable enough to defend herself. I like how you discussed being open with your daughter. I was raised in a generation where sex and sexy thing were not discussed much. So, I am having to rethink how I teach my daughter. I think that your advice about allowing questions and being open and honest is a great approach! Great post!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,

    We did not talk about sex, our bodies, or even the natural things that happen to women and their bodies as they got older and matured. When I started my menstrual cycle I was scared out of my mind and I did not tell anyone. My mother saw the stains in my underwear and gave me the same pamphlet that her mother gave her. No questions asked. My body type was never considered the "sexy" type so I never fit with the "in crowd". This really meant that I had no idea how to approach these types of subjects with my daughters. I am here for them and I answer questions the best that I can.

    I really agree that you cannot hide sexualization from your children, you can only help them by allowing them to ask questions and giving models of positive relationships.

    Luci

    ReplyDelete