Saturday, July 27, 2013

Job/Roles in the ECE Community: National/Federal Level

I can not envision myself working at the Nation/Federal Level as I really enjoy working with the children in my community.  One of my favorite aspects of my current job is when the children come back and visit me when they're older.  I do, however, think there are some fantastic national programs that it would be very rewarding to work for. 

National Association for the Education of Young Children
www.naeyc.org
In week 2, I listed the North Carolina affiliate of this organization so it seems fitting that I list the nation level this week.  The NAEYC, as many of us know, is at the forefront of social change in the early childhood field. Working as a part of this organization would ensure that I amble to help the largest number of children possible. 


Job Opportunity:
I am very passionate about family childcare and think it would be wonderful if the NAEYC had family childcare component.  Currently the national equivalent for family childcare is the National Association of Family Childcare (www.nafcc.org) but it's efforts and successes pale in comparison to the NAEYC.  If ever a family childcare program were to start within the NAEYC, I would jump at the chance to work with them.

Skills:
Computer skills
Good communication and cooperation skills
Knowledge of the NAEYC accreditation process
Time management skills
Comfort with an advocacy position

The Partnership for a Healthier
http://www.letsmove.gov/partnership-healthier-america
The Partnership for a Healthier America is the federal organization that oversees the Let's Move initiative helping instill healthy lifestyles in America's children.  I think this is an important endeavor as childhood obesity continues to rise, creating health problems for many of our nation's children. 

The Education Team
http://theeducationteam.com/
I'm not sure if this organization counts as being national/federal because it is privately owned and operated, but it operates nation-wide.  It is a national placement service for early childhood professionals.  They help find teachers full time employment as well as help directors find qualified individuals.  Additionally, they have a pool of qualified substitutes that they place in programs on an as needed basis.  Many early childhood program in my area, and in the country as a whole, have problems with teacher turnover.  Finding qualified substitutes when you need one is often time consuming and costly, forcing many programs to hire someone who is under qualified, which of course is to the detriment of the children.  The Education Team strives to solve this problem in both center and home based programs. 

Job Opportunity:
There are no job opportunities with this organization at the moment, but I think it would be rewarding to work with them as a representative in my state.  Helping to ease the teacher turnover problem in North Carolina would go a long way to ensuring children receive a quality education. 

Skills:
Knowledge of state hiring laws and practices
Knowledge of state childcare laws
Good computer skills
Networking and communication skills

3 comments:

  1. Hello Sarah,

    I also would rather work in a position that would effect the children in my community. You can actually see the difference you're making whereas with a national based job it would be more difficult to tell when you are actually changing things for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    I also do not think I would want on the national/federal level. I enjoy working face-to-face with children and their families too much. The Education Team sounds like a good organization though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah Ann,
    I knew you were close when you talked about the Johnson County partnership, but did not realize you were in Raleigh! I live in Sanford. And I like you prefer (I think) to work in my own community. But, it is tempting to think that you could make a difference in the world! I wonder if family child care is popular in other parts of the world.....I really do not know the answer to that question. Do you?

    Deb

    Deb

    ReplyDelete