Saturday, August 10, 2013

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: Internationally

Finding international early childhood organizations was by far the hardest of these assignments.  I think this may be because I have zero interest in working at an international level, though I do feel that these organizations do amazing work int the early childhood field. 

World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/ceh/en/
The WHO works to improve the quality of life for people all over the world.  One of their programs that interests me is dedicated to children's environmental health.  It works to improve the health and safety of the world's children by improving the quality of the environments in which they live. 

Job Opportunity
National Professional Officer (Maternal and Child Health)
This looks like a very interesting position; helping mothers and children find adequate care.  It is however a position that I am not qualified for as it requires a medical degree and a Djibouti citizenship. 

United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
http://www.unicefusa.org/
UNICEF works in over 190 countries to ensure that children's rights are being upheld.  Among their many programs is the School-In-A-Box initiative which distributes materials to hold a class anywhere.  Having a school to attend helps children in war torn areas or areas which have suffered severe natural disasters return to a normal life.  I think I would enjoy working on this project but there are currently no such positions available. 

The Academy for Educational Development
http://www.fhi360.org/education-global
This organization works in many different areas to improve the lives of the worlds inhabitants.  Two of their project areas interested me specifically: education and gender equality.  In the education sector, the organization helps supply schools with materials, trains teachers, and assists local organizations in creating educational opportunities.  The Academy for Educational Development also works to eliminate gender inequities.  They work to educate girls, improve the health of young women, and work to reduce sexual violence and early marriage.  When looking at job opportunities with this organization, I could only find high level office and budgeting jobs.  I would prefer a ground level, work directly with the communities type of job. 

2 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    I, too, do not have much of an interest in working at the international level. However, they do awesome work! I love the idea of UNICEF's School-In-A-Box initiative. It is wonderful to bring education to children who are unable to attain it for various reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    With all the wonderful work these organizations do I am grateful there are in business to help children. However I do not have a desire to work over internationally. I am so connected to my family that I know I could never leave them to work in another country. I was able to find some positions that were in companies that worked internationally but the job was located in a cooperate office within the States. This I could do but would miss teaching too much.

    ReplyDelete